Friday, March 9, 2007

week 6 thing 15 week 7 thing 16 17

So I've just read the library 2.0 perspectives. The one that caught my eye was when they were boasting about the possibilities of having a library 4.0. It basically describes a library as a normal thing that people go to, such as a grocery store or a gym. Once you're in the library, you will get a sort of spa treatment for your mind in order for you to go out into the world and be "creative" or what not.

I for one do not think that this is any way possible in my lifetime. The projections of such ideas were so bold that I don't believe that they'll ever materialize. As for library 2.0, it seems much more feasible and necessary at the moment.

Wikipedia is a website that I discovered a couple of years ago. I never knew that the concept of anyone contributing to it would work out as well as it did. Even with all of the good information that comes from it, there are still some of those people out there that want to screw around and post up wrong information. I wonder if wikipedia has a staff that goes through newly edited work to check for any false information.

This would be a useful tool for the library to use because it helps librarians to have access to enormous amounts of information. Most of the information comes from people that have studied on the subject or have a deep passionate knowledge about it. It's a lot better than those volumed encyclopedias that cost a fortuneI also heard from somewhere that wikipedia is giving encyclopedia britannica a run for their money.

p.s.
I've added my blog to the favorite wikis on our sjlibrary2.0 shindig.

No comments: